Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Life's a beach v 2.0 and Lessons From Play

So the extra kids are leaving next Monday, so we are going to try for a good beach visit this Friday. Since the last time we tried, we were unpleasantly surprised by stinkin' 25 MPH winds once we got there, I checked this morning and found 15 MPH winds for Friday. I'm hoping that 1) it'll just gust that high without being a constant presence and 2) 15 MPH winds aren't that bad. 

Looking forward to a fun beach visit!

Plus, I have to mention that watching Jackson play with his cousins has showed me just how awful I am at playing with him. I have shifted so completely into the adult world that watching them just run and play has reminded me what I have forgotten. There are all kinds of wonderful things about the adult world, but I really feel as though I have lost something marvelous by forgetting how to connect with a child through simple play. 

Jackson has been absolutely loving the time with his older cousins, to the point that when I try to play with him, he pushes me away because I'm simply not fun enough. That's both funny and sad at the same time. I mean, I'm just not 6, and so there's a fundamental difference between me and his 6 year old cousin, making it kind of funny when he says, "No, Daddy! No!" He sees me getting in the way of playing in the way that little kids do. 

However, I didn't know I had lost it until he got old enough to show me. Now that I know, I am going to try and reclaim that child-like portion of my soul. I think there is great value in being able to connect with little kids, and I want that part of my soul back.


Current mood: hopeful

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that I have ever lost that inner child. Ask my wife........But it's not that hard to regain, just remember that everything is a new experience, even if you have done it before, a million times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I mentally grasp the concept, I seem to have emotionally wandered away from it. But I suppose this is what kids are for, right? To help us get back to that place again? :)

      Delete