Friday, August 10, 2012

Life Update Novella

Holy cow, a lot of stuff has gone down.

The beach: we went, we had fun! Except for the fact that I applied sun screen once and didn't the rest of the day. I used to be a redhead to some degree (when I had hair), and so my skin suffered. While I'm glad I didn't get 2nd degree burns, I still have some redness three weeks later. Thems were some serious sunburns. Thank heavens for aloe - slathered it on twice a day for two weeks.

The kids: Jenny decided not to go to Albuquerque and Arizona for 2 weeks, but rather to meet her sister halfway between here and Alb. When she started having some cramping and such, I decided that I would take the kids rather than her juuuust to be safe, pregnancy-wise. They are safely home and have already Skyped with us a few times. :) Jackson really misses his cousins!

The game days: Sadly, because she didn't go, I didn't get to do my extra game day(s). :(

The trip: But her cousin that she hasn't seen in 14 years contacted her and told her that he would be in Dallas last weekend, so she decided to go, and ended up being gone for a week anyhow, just not out of state. I was working so much, I didn't get to do any game days, though I *did* get a couple of other guys whose families were out of town over at my place for dinner and a game of Carcassonne and Knights & Cities of Catan (best expansion set for a game ever - if you like Catan, get that expansion). She just got home late last night.

I am looking forward to finally getting some time at home without any visitors! Time to enjoy being with my family in our new space. 

Though it won't last for long...

The business trip: My work is sending me to Ottawa for some training on an application we'll be using, last week of August. I might need to check with some of my Canadian folks to see if they are in the vicinity and want to get together...

The books: Since I was driving 7 hours in a car with no cruise control or CD player (it has a tape deck!) through barren areas of Texas with virtually no cell phone signal, I borrowed my brother's audible.com account so I could listen to some audio books on my trip back from dropping off the kids. 

I began with Odd and the Frost Giants, by Neil Gaiman. Neil is really, truly excellent - some of his stories are just Good, but most of his stuff is in the Amazing category. This was the latter - I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

But most of the rest of the books my brother has are spy novels, or perhaps I should say counter-terrorism novels. I've always enjoyed a good Tom Clancy novel, but I haven't touched one in a while. Well, my brother really likes Daniel Silva, who wrote (is writing/will continue to write) the Gabriel Allon novels. Gabriel Allon is an Israeli counter-terrorism agent, and the detail is fascinating - it's sometimes hard to tell where the history ends and the fiction begins. I love reading about (well, listening to) a non-USA perspective with this kind of story. Cool stuff. Highly recommended.

Current mood:  covert

No comments:

Post a Comment