Thursday, July 12, 2012

Magic system

I had an interesting experience last night trying to describe my magic system to a friend who was helping me think of how it could be applied in various ways across a culture. He's a musician, and I realized that while I understand how the magic works on a more abstract level, I still have a lot of work pinning it down on how it works in the details.

Most magic systems focus on the effects, the end result. For instance, a wizard says, "I want to fly." They cast a spell that somehow breaks all the laws of physics AND builds in some kind of control into the spell so the person is easily able to maneuver. I've seen some games/stories where a fly spell still requires an education on how to use it well, but that tends to be abstracted out.

But the devil is in the details - flying is *hard*. Coming up with a spell that breaks the laws of physics when I can't even describe said laws might be possible in other worlds, but not in mine. The only reason we have airplanes is due to hundreds of years of scientific discoveries layered on top of each other, combined with the engineering required to accomplish said feat. 

So let's examine said Fly spell. First off, levitation: am I changing my mass so I float? If so, how do I compensate for wind? I have become a balloon, and so the spell needs some way to help me go where I want to go despite air pressure to the contrary. 

Perhaps I alter myself so that gravity has no effect on me personally, and I float around as though I am in space? But if I can do that, why could I not do the opposite and make gravity stronger in my area? That's a great attack spell - increase someone's personal gravity to the point where very heavy objects hit them with high velocity. And I would need some way to move forward and backwards, taking into account I still have my mass.

Perhaps I generate some kind of force beneath me that has the effect of rocket boots without the fire and heat. Or maybe a force bubble/platform that I stand in/on and I use it to carry me around. 

Obviously, each one of these methods has unique needs. In the first example, I need both the ability to choose my direction *and* a method of generating forward movement. While the first need is shared by the second example, my method of generating forward movement if I am massless will be different if I retain mass. The latter two examples bring with the means of forward motion, but the rocket boot example still needs a form of guidance. 

Which brings us to the next step - how do I guide it? With my mind? I need some way of connecting my means of guidance to my thoughts. But how does that work? Do I mentally choose a direction and it takes me there until I say otherwise? But what about random thoughts that go through my brain - do they throw the spell off? How would the spell distinguish between a random thought about a direction and a thought it should listen to?

Or what if I use my body to control it? Perhaps my hands as they flick in different directions is what guides the spell. But think of the spell as a computer program - unless I specifically program it to recognize those signals, I can't use them. So a fly spell needs to take into account all of these factors, making it a remarkably complex enchantment.

I will note that no one has been able to design a flying spell in my world yet. They've just barely come up with some sort of flying craft, and they are slow, expensive, and vulnerable. It takes multiple mages working pretty constantly to keep the craft running rather than a fire-and-forget type experience. 

So a typical D&D Fly spell abstracts out these questions. "How does it work?" isn't even asked. It doesn't matter how it works, it just does. And somehow the spell is magically able to compensate for all of these concerns. In our world, we have to ask how things work to a major degree. Obviously, we've not needed to understand physics behind flight to design bows and arrows, nor did we need to understand molecular structure to create steel, but understanding those deeper laws have assisted in our military and transportation endeavors. 

My magic system still allows for a small level of abstraction (else it wouldn't be MAGIC), but not even close to the level of most worlds. My mages cannot simply decide what they want to do and ignore all the details required to make that work. Some types of magic (Divination, Illusion) allow for more abstraction than others (Mind, Elementalism, Motion), but still, none of them get the D&D level of abstraction. It's hard to create a complicated effect, and there are always unintended consequences, just like in our world. 

Current mood: thoughtful

2 comments:

  1. But I think that's the beauty of reading high fantasy work - the ability to 'gloss over' the details.

    Of course it's true that you don't want to skim over everything, and it's nice when you are able to create some rules that seem plausible, but when I sit down to read a fantasy work? I start from a place of "I'm willing to take that leap of faith that 'it just works'."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, that is part of the fun of magic in normal high fantasy worlds, but I wanted to do something different. This system is deep and wide - because it's not focused on effects, it allows for more creativity on the part of the mages and those that work with them.

      Think of it as the difference between playing with action figures that come with vehicles and such (GI Joe, Star Wars, etc) vs playing with Legos. You can do so much more with Legos, but there are some things each style allows that the other cannot accomplish.

      For instance, unless you glue each and every piece together as you build it, Legos fall apart. They cannot take the punishment that the He-Man figures we had when we were young could. On the other hand, you could build anything you wanted from Legos, so long as you had the correct specific pieces available.

      Most magic systems are action figures; I am designing a Lego set. It fundamentally changes the world and the cultures that are in it to think of magic this way. Lots of fun! :)

      Delete