Monday, June 11, 2012

Home at last

We are successfully moved in, with tons of unpacking in front of us, but we are making progress. 

It has been a very strange experience. If I include my 2 year mission for my church in Sacramento, California, I have moved around 43 times since I left home at age 18 (I am not military). I have never found a place to really stay - every single spot was just a waystation to something else. However, now that we are in this house, we plan to stay for as long as possible. Raise our kids here, invest in the neighborhood, heck, we'll actually register to vote finally! 

But with all the moving, it hadn't really sunk in that we are home home. Here to stay. Not moving again for the foreseeable future. It wasn't until we were unpacking Jenny's dishes, and I asked her where she wanted to keep the boxes they had shipped in, that I was struck by our permanency here. She responded, "I don't need them any more. We aren't going to move again for a long time." 

I sat down, suddenly struck by what she was saying. I literally couldn't wrap my brain around it. What? We don't need any of these boxes any more?

I am not ashamed to admit that I teared up as the reality started to sink in. 

I am still trying to process that I am really Home, and there have been a few more misty moments. No more vagabonds, us! 

Now to write another blog post and back to unpacking!


Current mood: profoundly grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment