Friday, May 18, 2012

Geeky Disney connections

Jackson has suddenly found a love for Mickey Mouse. I'm really not sure what it is about Mickey that kids love so much. It's not like he's had a ton of exposure or seen commercials or anything - he just saw Mickey and adored him instantly.

Anyhoo, as he was watching Mickey House Clubhouse, I was half listening from the other room when I heard Stinky Pete come on, and his voice just sounded really familiar. I couldn't quite place it, but I knew I had heard it before, so I looked the voice actor up on IMDB to discover just where I felt the audio connection.

His name is Jim Cummings, and he has done a lot of voice acting, including Stinky Pete for over a decade, Winnie the Pooh for a while, etc, but none of those jumped out at me.

However, I saw one role he did the voice for and my jaw dropped - that was where I knew him from.

Stinky Pete's voice sounded familiar because it was the voice of Minsc, the miniature giant space hamster (named Boo) carrying berserker ranger from Baldur's Gate 1& 2, some of my favorite games of all time, rivaled only by Batman: Arkham Asylum and Planescape:Torment.

Minsc was hilarious! He offered such gems as:

What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.

I trust those who prey on children no farther than they can be thrown, even if I manage to throw them pretty far!

And even those quotes fall short of the hilarity that Minsc offered.

But as I dug around, I found a couple more interesting connections, both through the Syfy show Eureka:

Senator Wen is played by Ming-Na Wen, who was the voice of Mulan.

Taggart is played by Matt Frewer, who voiced the imp Panic in Hercules.



One more cool one, though not Disney related. I was watching an ep of Batman Beyond with Mr Freeze, and his voice sounded really familiar as well, so I looked him up and found that Michael Ansara who voiced him also played Elric the technomage from Babylon 5, one of the greatest stories of all time.

Good stuff!



Current mood: geeky

No comments:

Post a Comment